I have to take a minute before another Mother's Day has passed to express my feelings about motherhood. There are so many things to express. I think I'll do a Motherhood's Top Ten List to try to keep it to the point.
Here goes -- TOP TEN THINGS ABOUT BEING A MOTHER
10. When my little girls get a bump, a scratch or an ouchie, they look to me to comfort them and make it better.
9. "I snuggle you"...words often muttered by my sweet little Ava. Elise is starting to enjoy snuggling as well. Many days we'll all snuggle up and watch a favorite cartoon.
8. Seeing my children imitate the nice things that I do or the good things I teach them - like Ava hugging Elise and expressing great concern when she's upset. or Ava even getting a book and going and reading it to Elise, without any prompting from me. Or Elise hugging and patting the little girl at church over and over again. It melts my heart to see them expressing love and thinking that maybe my showing them love has something to do with it.
7. When Ava tells me, "Mommy, I love you." or when she looks at me and says, "You're a good Mommy." all out of the blue.
6. The lessons I've learned and the strength I've gained from all of the struggles of being a mom, especially when kids are whiny, fussy or sick. I've learned to rely on prayers. I NEED to pray, I NEED my Heavenly Father's help and guidance every single day.
5. I've learned to appreciate the value of life and the value really of every day. I've learned to not take for granted the good health of my children or the fragile nature of life. I recently went to a funeral for a newborn (of Chris' coworker) that never had a chance in this world, who the doctors knew would never survive outside the womb. I'm so thankful to know that there is life beyond this life and that this child can be with her family again.
4. Seeing the world through 1 year old or a 3 year old glasses: I love the excitement about life that my little girls show. Elise giggles and dances, says "Hi" when she sees you, runs to the door when Daddy gets home... Then, Ava, who is such a compassionate soul, gets so excited about playing outside, visiting the neighbor animals, and picking blossoms and wildflowers. I get to enjoy all of the little joys of childhood all over again.
3. Watching them sleep - There's absolutely nothing in the world sweeter than looking at my precious little girls asleep, all snuggled up, feeling safe, comfortable and carefree. (Not to mention that it's a nice break for mommy).
2. Staying home. I'm so thankful that I get to stay home with my kids. I feel for the moms who have to work for whatever reason and may not be happy about it. I feel at peace knowing that I'm always with my kids, I know they are being loved and cared for by the person in the world that knows them the best and loves them the most. I wouldn't trade it. (Of course, Daddy loves them tons too!)
1. All the little things. There are so many little things that bring meaning to my life EVERY day as a mom. I'm important, I'm needed, my attention is desired. But more than that- I give, I cherish, I teach, I listen, I laugh, I learn, I grow, I help, I love.
Sappy as it may be, it's important for me to document how special it is to be a mother on this Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to the rest of you!
Melisa Osmond: Finding the Power in You
4 years ago
2 comments:
Beautiful thoughts, Lori. I think it's great to remember you only a few years ago when you weren't a mother yet--it's amazing how much being a mom can transform you and give you so much purpose in life, isn't it??
Happy Mother's Day! Love your list. Some really sweet thoughts about motherhood.
Post a Comment