Thursday, August 16, 2007

Projects!












I've been busy with various projects lately. I finally bought a sewing machine of my very own. My mom was letting me use one of her old ones which you can see is older and doesn't near as much as my new one. I went with a Bernina because I've heard great things about them and lots of people I know, including my mom, have one. Better safe than sorry I guess. Now I just have to learn how to use it!

My first project was to make flannel boards for a little preschool group we're doing. If you're interested, I used an 18x24in. artist panel/canvas, 3/4 yard of flannel, and tote bag strapping bought from the ribbon section at Hobby Lobby. I sewed the flannel like a pillowcase, making sure to make it fit really tight, and then hot glued the open end down neatly. Then, I used the strapping/trim to make a little handle, burning the ends to keep them from raveling, and stapled them to the back of the board.

Then, I decided I need to do some painting so I touched up this tulip painting that I painted a few years ago and have already "touched up" twice. I think I have to stop though, even though it pains me to look at it and see how I could improve it still. Ava saw me painting and said, "I paint too!" She then took a thanfully dry paintbrush and started to stroke on my painting. I quickly got out paper and paint for Ava to try for herself. She enjoyed it - her favorite thing was for me to make purple by mixing red and blue for her.


5 comments:

Deb said...

Wow I didn't know you painted. I really like the tulips! I'm jealous of your sewing machine!

Anonymous said...

You sure know how to keep busy! I also like the tulips painting.Nice job!

Anne Marie said...

Nice sewing machine! I'm impressed with the tulips.

Michelle said...

fun stuff, lori! you are going to have more fun than you know with your sewing machine, and your painting is gorgeous.

Kristy said...

Those tulips are gorgeous! If you can paint like that, you should sell your work. I'd buy it!